Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Shooting 101: Assignment 2

This is the metering week.  We started by taking shots with gray cards for exposure.  We used an 18% gray and a 12.5% gray.  I found I like the exposure better on my camera with the 12.5.  (Which I learned is common for Canon cameras).  Here the shots with both cards.  Everything else is the same.


The 12.5 (top) image shows white as white, but does not blow out the details, and renders the image closer to they way I see it.

So what does this mean?  My camera meters a perfect exposure off 12.5% gray.  If I am shooting something brighter or darker, I'll need to adjust rather than metering to 0.  If I shoot Little Guy, I found the same exposure blew him out.
I adjusted and found if I set his skin at +2/3 , I get an exposure that I really like for him as well as the patterned white behind him.



 So I know his skin tones on my camera look best metered to +2/3.  My girl will likely be the same.  I'll have to play around to find that same sweet spot for my other regulars.  Little nephew will be good practice as his skin is very different from my kiddos.  Also Sprague family.  I have new assigments!

No comments:

Post a Comment